Sunday, March 24, 2013

Edudemic Community



I recently received a recommendation via Facebook to follow the community group, Edudemic.  Edudemic is a community website that allows educators from around the world to post topics on education and technology.  Furthermore, if you follow the group on Facebook you can receive status updates with new, interesting, or most popular posts.  

Over the past few weeks, there have been several interesting posts that I found informative and practical.  For example, today I received the link to read The 10 Skills Modern Teachers Must Have.  While I read the article I could not help but think that this would be perfect to share with my colleagues.    It discusses the hype that surrounds technology while explaining skills that are necessary to manage in modern educational settings.  

Therefore, I created the top three reasons why everyone should join this community.

1.  It is created by teachers for teachers.  The most recent article I read was on using Evernote in the classroom and how it revolutionized teaching.  The author wrote about the trials and tribulations of trying this application in their classroom from the beginning of the school year.  It provided an authentic  reflection and how it truly performs in a classroom.  Therefore, this website includes ideas that are tried and tested, which is revolutionizing professional development for teachers who infuse technology into their instruction.

2. You can find them on Facebook and Twitter.  Let's face it...our world is consumed by social media!  Most people are more likely to check daily status updates than scan or search a website.  Therefore, Edudemic has found a way to push educational technology news and information in a modern world.  I never visit the site unless I see an interesting topic posted on social media.  However, once I'm on the site I could spend hours searching through the various posts.  If you are not a social media fan, you do have the option to follow by email and receive daily email updates.  

3.  This site is one of the most comprehensive and current education sites on the Web.  Since I began teaching, I have received suggested websites by friends and colleagues that quickly become outdated or requires paid subscriptions.  Edudemic is amazing because the format is like a blog and has daily posts that are currently being used in classrooms.  In fact, you can become a member and post your own articles.  

I hope you enjoy this community as much as I do.  Edudemic is changing my life in regard to learning more about technology in schools.  As the school year advances, I hope to post more interesting or informative articles that are worth sharing.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment